Sign in to follow this  
Construct

Off season training

Mountain biking season is nearly over. Time to ramp up the training. Let's see how this goes.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019:

OHP: 5 x 45, 65, 85, 85, 85

Pullup: 3 x 10

Wednesday, October 23, 2019:

Squat: 5 x 5 x 135

Both lifting sessions followed my usual 15-20 minutes of bouldering. 

Saturday, 26 October 2019:

Mountain biking: 7 miles round trip. Cut short because the clouds rolled in and the temperature at 9000ft plummeted without any sunlight. Snowed the next day. Was good to get one last ride in.

3 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Wait a second....you are exercising at almost 3k meters??? 

Not wonder you are feeling some post-exertional malaise.

Right?!

I wonder if that one mushroom might help... can't remember what it's called... there's some product called V02 max or something that increases oxygen saturation I believe. 

17 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Wait a second....you are exercising at almost 3k meters??? 

Not wonder you are feeling some post-exertional malaise.

I live around 5K feet elevation and I've been biking up past 10K ft most of my life, so it's not a stretch. The last time I had a chest x-ray, everyone commented that my lungs are huge.

I hate to admit it, but my PEM is approaching classic CFS/ME symptoms. I feel great for the first 24-36 hours post workout, and then I get hit with brain fog, fatigue, and what feels more like nerve pain than typical soreness.

Tried Cordyceps 10:1 extract from Nootropics Depot. I like it in general. Doesn't touch the PEM, though.

Current experiment is D-Ribose, 5g, three times daily. More around workouts. Inspired by https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17109576 and some other underpowered studies. 

Monday, 4 November 2019:

Bench: 5 x 135, 155, 175, 185, 195, 205lbs

Squat: 2 x 20 x 45lbs

Wednesday, 6 November 2019:

Bouldering: About 8 routes, up to V6.

Light week this week. Testing the waters with some high-rep, low-weight leg workouts.

Got an unsolicited invite to interview at a well-known Bay Area company. I'm not interested in moving to CA, but I think I'll follow through with the interview process anyway to see what they can offer.

Thursday, 7 November 2019:

Barbell row: 5 x 5 x 95lbs

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to combine pulling exercises with climbing. Usually by the time I move from the climbing area to the weight room, I feel like I've had plenty of upper body pulling work. I should probably have a separate pull day without any climbing.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:13 PM, Construct said:

Got an unsolicited invite to interview at a well-known Bay Area company. I'm not interested in moving to CA, but I think I'll follow through with the interview process anyway to see what they can offer.

Does working out a travel plan with them sound attractive to you? Places around here know that with teleconferencing, your presence in an office is wholly unnecessary. I haven't been in an office but once in the last 2 years, and that was just for me to wait for my lunch date to finish up what they were doing. 

Maybe it's an option?

7 hours ago, Construct said:

Thursday, 7 November 2019:

Barbell row: 5 x 5 x 95lbs

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to combine pulling exercises with climbing. Usually by the time I move from the climbing area to the weight room, I feel like I've had plenty of upper body pulling work. I should probably have a separate pull day without any climbing.

Then maybe deadlifting after bouldering, or sled pulls? You get almost 100% back/posterior chain work or quad work with those options.

On 11/8/2019 at 5:30 PM, Emperor G_D said:

Does working out a travel plan with them sound attractive to you? Places around here know that with teleconferencing, your presence in an office is wholly unnecessary. I haven't been in an office but once in the last 2 years, and that was just for me to wait for my lunch date to finish up what they were doing. 

Maybe it's an option?

It's an engineering manager role. Remotely managing a team of on-site engineers is usually a no-go. I have plenty of experience managing remote teams, but nothing really replaces face to face to conversation. It's also nearly impossible to be efficient as the lone remote person on a team that is working together face to face.

2 minutes ago, Construct said:

It's an engineering manager role. Remotely managing a team of on-site engineers is usually a no-go. I have plenty of experience managing remote teams, but nothing really replaces face to face to conversation. It's also nearly impossible to be efficient as the lone remote person on a team that is working together face to face.

It would be hard to manage on-site workers from remote if other folks weren't remote as well, I agree.

Gotta say, this is where I say the Red Hat culture is superior to others.

Catching up:

Sunday, 10 November 2019:

Deadlift: 5 x 135, 225, 225, 225, 225, 225

Tuesday, 12 November 2019:

OHP: 5 x 45, 65, 85, 95, 95

Wednesday, 13 November 2019:

Just bouldering, no gas in the tank for weights.

I've been going to the gym about twice a week. Haven't been great at logging it, though. Most recent trips:

Friday, 29 November 2019:

Bouldering: Light

Pullups: Some

Deadlift: 5 x 135, 225, 225, 225, 255

Sunday, 1 December 2019:

Rowing machine: 5 minutes, moderate intensity

Benchpress: 5 x 135, 155, 175, 185, 195, 205, 135

Felt good to lift slightly higher weights and add some cardio back. Unfortunately I'm paying for it today with a major crash. I can deal with the physical pain, but it's the brain fog that gets me. 

I wish I had a solution for you re: brain fog. it's great to get physical exercise, but it's fucking wonderful to push yourself a little harder and enjoy the chemical high from that. Sure, every joint aches something awful, but pushing yourself a little harder than normal can be super fun and rewarding.

To add to it and as an inspiration for myself. Be goal oriented. Think of it as cooking. You want to make a meal to impress but only have access to some tools and the same old ingredients.

Pick the goal and use everything at your fingertips. Reach back into the cupboard, wow yourself.

It's only a meal after all.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:31 PM, Emperor G_D said:

I wish I had a solution for you re: brain fog. it's great to get physical exercise, but it's fucking wonderful to push yourself a little harder and enjoy the chemical high from that. Sure, every joint aches something awful, but pushing yourself a little harder than normal can be super fun and rewarding.

Thanks guys.

This is the frustrating part. I'm barely breaking a sweat at the gym. I feel great afterward. Then 24-36 hours later, the malaise hits hard.

I temporarily pulled myself out of the malaise for a meeting this week with a mix of ALCAR, Creatine, D-Ribose, NAC, CoQ10, PQQ, and L-Methylfolate. Basically one of every supplement I had on hand. It worked for about 6 hours, but now I'm the crazy supplement guy.

I'm scheduling another appointment with my doctor. We didn't get very far last time, so this time I'm going in with a list of tests to ask for. 

Reading between the lines at work: I'm 95% certain that our US offices are gearing up for major layoffs. I'm also about 75% certain that my team is getting hit. I'm in a very fortunate position where getting laid off wouldn't be a big deal to me, but I'm getting quite stressed about my team. One guy just bought a new house. Another has a new child. Another has been crushing it by going above and beyond lately. I hate feeling helpless to change the course that the company's on.