Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Construct

Off season training

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Something Anonymous said:

Have you considered giving them a heads up individually in confidentiality so that they can look elsewhere?

I doubt that would stay confidential, and the boss or HR might take offense. It would be a gamble, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, Construct said:

Reading between the lines at work: I'm 95% certain that our US offices are gearing up for major layoffs. I'm also about 75% certain that my team is getting hit. I'm in a very fortunate position where getting laid off wouldn't be a big deal to me, but I'm getting quite stressed about my team. One guy just bought a new house. Another has a new child. Another has been crushing it by going above and beyond lately. I hate feeling helpless to change the course that the company's on.

 

That sucks. All you can do it do your best to do right by them as things wind down or shake out. Keep doing your best, and plan for the eventuality (sounds like you've already done that). Have a look at Red Hat's careers page and let me know if anything is interesting to you. Most of our teams are remote, and so are their managers, so relo is unlikely in that case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sanction said:

I doubt that would stay confidential, and the boss or HR might take offense. It would be a gamble, I think.

 

I'd strongly advise against it. Managers are managers because the company trusts that confidential information will be kept confidential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you all never had that one manager who you had built a relationship with on mutual respect and trust and would lookout for your best interests? I have had a couple in my career who I owe a lot of my trajectory to, and perhaps I am wrong, but those were the best managers in my experience. There’s a time to be a corporate shill, and then there’s a time to care about people as people. I am not necessarily advising Construct to do this, but the tone of his post struck me as someone who has been in my shoes in the past, or has been a manager of mine at some point. I’m derailing your log so I will leave it at this - you seem like a good manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As SA said, I am in management position now where I can be the good manager who told me. In 6 (or 3 ) months you will be out of a job. Start looking now. If Ibsee something that you're qualified for, I'll let you know. You have my glowing recommendation anywhere you go.

 

I've been there a few times. I am thankful for my managers. I have actual love for them for doing this. I've never missed a day of work.

 

Btw, I too was an employee  with new born (Second kid) and newly bought first house when I got the notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a rules guy. The rules are there for a reason and people-especially managers-should play by them. 

 

Burton would tell me I was wrong and fuck the machine. But being a manager means that your employer has decided that you represent not only a good employee, but someone who can be trusted to make decisions for the company as well as for your employees. 

 

I guess by that definition, both approaches would be right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is tough. There are scenarios in which, as God and Sanction are suggesting, the personal blowback could be quite severe. I have always pushed my senior leadership to lift the cone of silence on restructurings asap and have tended to have corporate knowledge transfer + succession plans in place, but the cone generally has a nestedness, and that nestedness is sometimes there for very good reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the reasons that I think Red Hat isn't awful as a place to work is that when we have our inevitable yearly re-org, it's all done out in the open. There's some stuff that goes on under the cone of silence, no doubt, but a good majority of it happens in front of us and with us taking part in the project over the course of the re-org.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, Emperor G_D said:

I'm a rules guy. The rules are there for a reason and people-especially managers-should play by them. 

 

Burton would tell me I was wrong and fuck the machine. But being a manager means that your employer has decided that you represent not only a good employee, but someone who can be trusted to make decisions for the company as well as for your employees. 

 

I guess by that definition, both approaches would be right?

 

 

No, you don't get it.  You'd be at worst, petty bourgeoisie.  But not even that since you're not part of the capitalist class who owns the means.  That is generally reserved for owners who work beside labor.

 

In reality, you're a prole just like me and everyone else here.  If the revolution comes, we won't be executing people like you unless we get real, real far down the priority ladder (at least in my view leftism).

 

But your love of rules bothers me but that's only on a personal level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 That escalated quickly.

 

On 12/8/2019 at 7:44 PM, Emperor G_D said:

One of the reasons that I think Red Hat isn't awful as a place to work is that when we have our inevitable yearly re-org, it's all done out in the open. There's some stuff that goes on under the cone of silence, no doubt, but a good majority of it happens in front of us and with us taking part in the project over the course of the re-org.

 

No company is perfect, but IMO it doesn't take much effort to be a decent place to work. Especially at large scale tech companies where the revenue per employee leaves plenty of margin for taking care of people.

 

I'm ambivalent about the superficial perks like company parties, expensive off-site retreats, snack rooms stocked with junk food, ping pong tables, and the other perks that companies like to advertise. Just give me open communication, clear directives, market-rate pay, good health insurance, reasonable transparency, and an environment of mutual respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 10:14 AM, Ras said:

Adapting to the malaise as a new normal helps a bit. It sucks rat dick, but I just train through it. It is part of why I train intensely and often BID.

 

That's the big question in my mind. If the malaise is a broken, superficial reaction to exercise then I think it makes sense to push through it. I want to maintain as much muscle mass and fitness as possible until this hopefully passes.

 

On the other hand, I worry that this is my body's way of telling me to knock it off because something is genuinely wrong.

 

 

Latest round of blood tests came back. I don't have the raw numbers yet. The doctor says everything was normal except I have evidence of an EBV infection. This is the 3rd time in my life that I've had CFS symptoms with a positive EBV test. Going to take it easy for a month or two. Rest up and see if I improve. Might try to coordinate with a specialist to track down this EBV thing in further detail, but it's not exactly a treatable condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Construct said:

 That escalated quickly.

 

 

No company is perfect, but IMO it doesn't take much effort to be a decent place to work. Especially at large scale tech companies where the revenue per employee leaves plenty of margin for taking care of people.

 

I'm ambivalent about the superficial perks like company parties, expensive off-site retreats, snack rooms stocked with junk food, ping pong tables, and the other perks that companies like to advertise. Just give me open communication, clear directives, market-rate pay, good health insurance, reasonable transparency, and an environment of mutual respect.

 

Same here. I work from home and give no shits about those perks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks OK. A few things to note:

 

- Oddly, it pushes deadlift intensity more than squat intensity. I think that's backwards. 

- It's a linear program, and that comes with its own set of limitations over time. 

- The squat accessories are a bit weak. My guess is a shitty squatter wrote this program. :)

  - Squat, Squatting exercise*, Leg Press, Some other upper and lower leg exercise**

- 3 days on 1 day off is too much work and too little rest unless you're a stressless n00b who just lays around drinking protein shakes and recovering-again, it can be modified to be 3 days per week, or 4 days per week and it will work much better for most people

 

*- Volume squat, different width squat, unilaterals

**- Sled pushing and pulling, extensions and curls

 

My guess is that it's pretty decent. Definitely watch for signs of stagnation or burnout. 12 weeks of 6 days per week working out will probably not work for most people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, Emperor G_D said:

- 3 days on 1 day off is too much work and too little rest unless you're a stressless n00b who just lays around drinking protein shakes and recovering

Yes, this is the song of my people now.

 

The big layoff happened, as I had predicted. I'm using this as an opportunity to reset a bit. I've already had a few unsolicited job and contracting offers that I've delayed, and I'm fortunate enough to have no concerns about our finances right now.

 

I've been doing as you suggested: Stretching the program out to an 8 or 9 day cycle with additional rest days as needed. I agree that the squat accessories are weak, which is compounded buy the fact that I don't have access to a leg press machine. My primary goal is to be in top shape for mountain biking season, though, so I've been using this opportunity to work in light to moderate cycling exercise. Not optimal for strength, I know, but I think it fits my goals better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Construct said:

Yes, this is the song of my people now.

 

The big layoff happened, as I had predicted. I'm using this as an opportunity to reset a bit. I've already had a few unsolicited job and contracting offers that I've delayed, and I'm fortunate enough to have no concerns about our finances right now.

 

I've been doing as you suggested: Stretching the program out to an 8 or 9 day cycle with additional rest days as needed. I agree that the squat accessories are weak, which is compounded buy the fact that I don't have access to a leg press machine. My primary goal is to be in top shape for mountain biking season, though, so I've been using this opportunity to work in light to moderate cycling exercise. Not optimal for strength, I know, but I think it fits my goals better.

 

That's super-unfortunate. You' seem to be a good guy and competent, so you'll probably find your way pretty easily. 

 

Even though you're laid off, don't equate your situation to that of a teen without a care in the world. It's pretty stressful to not have any work.

 

Be sure to check in form time to time and let us know how you're doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, Emperor G_D said:

Even though you're laid off, don't equate your situation to that of a teen without a care in the world. It's pretty stressful to not have any work.

 

Thanks for the concern. Technically, I'm switching to contracting for a while. Several peers reached out almost immediately with some opportunities. I'm not concerned for my work or career prospects just yet, though I am keeping a close eye on any possible economic downturns.

 

I'm also taking this opportunity to remodel one or maybe two parts of the house. It's amazing how cheap a remodel can be when I'm doing all of the work myself. Feels good to do some manual labor for a change, but I'd never want to do this for a career.

 

 

Sunday, 9 February 2020:

 

Bench: 3 x 12 x 115 lbs

OHP: 5 x 8 x 75 lbs

Incline Bench: 3 x 12 x 75 lbs

Tricep pushdown: 3 x 12 x 20 lbs

Lateral Raise: 5 x 8 x 15 lbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, Construct said:

I'm also taking this opportunity to remodel one or maybe two parts of the house. It's amazing how cheap a remodel can be when I'm doing all of the work myself. Feels good to do some manual labor for a change, but I'd never want to do this for a career.

 

Everybody should do this. Once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...