Sign in to follow this  
Construct

Contact Lenses

My regular optometrist was booked solid through January, so I took a chance on a new optometrist down the street. I'm glad I did, because he seemed to be an expert on the latest and greatest contact lens technology.

I've been having some trouble with my contact lenses not centering properly on some days. He recommended I switch from monthly lenses over to daily disposables. Specifically, he's a fan of these: https://www.dailies.com/contact-lenses/dailies-aquacomfort-plus/

Sure enough, they solved all of my problems. I'm kicking myself for not switching lenses sooner. The daily lenses are more expensive, but at this point I don't see myself going back to the older lenses.

The optometrist said his all-time favorite contact lens is the Alcon TOTAL1 line: https://www.dailies.com/contact-lenses/dailies-total1/ They have some new water gradient technology that transitions to extremely high water content near the surface of the lens, making them feel almost indistinguishable from the surface of your eye. I would have tried them, but they're not available for astigmatism correction. Also, they're apparently quite expensive.

Glad you found something that works.

It's funny how individualized contact lens comfort is...even the cleaning solution (if you don't have daily lenses) is not nearly as fungible as I would imagine.

I've got Cooper monthly multifocals that I am generally very pleased with....I like their hybrid technology of different lens geometry for your dominant and non-dominant eyes and from a comfort standpoint, I can easily wear them for 12-16h, especially when they are new.

I have been wearing the same Proclear monthly lenses for 15 years now. At my last appointment my Dr gave me a pair of daily lenses to try. Even though I had no complaints with my current lenses he thought they might be better for long term eye health. I literally couldn’t keep them

in for more than 30 seconds at a time without having to take them out and flush with saline. I don’t know what it was, but they just wouldn’t sit right on my eye. Perhaps my eyes have conformed to the shape of my monthly lenses over the years.

For the past few years I've told my optometrist that I'd like to trial some different lenses. I alternate between my old lenses and the trial pair for a week, then stick with the better of the two. I keep a running list of the lenses that I didn't like so I can avoid duplicates.

For something as critical as my vision and daily eye comfort, I wish there was an easier way to optimize this problem. My dream product would be a contact lens sampler pack with the top lenses in my prescription from each different manufacturer. If I could rotate through brands for a few months and take notes, it wouldn't take long to settle on the best lenses for my eyes.

I suspect the lens companies push hard against things like that, though. Every optometrist I've visited has posters on the wall from their preferred lens provider, and samples on hand from maybe two or three lens companies at most. At least we can easily walk out the door with a paper prescription now, rather than being trapped into the on-site glasses and contacts sales. Costco has the cheapest contact lens pricing that I've found so far.

5 hours ago, Construct said:

My dream product would be a contact lens sampler pack with the top lenses in my prescription from each different manufacturer. If I could rotate through brands for a few months and take notes, it wouldn't take long to settle on the best lenses for my eyes.

That would be great.

Man, I have good vision, but it's suffering from age-related changes as I enter almost to mid-40. I wear glasses to read most of the time, but I go through periods of time where glasses do more harm than good. Also, I can't ever get a consistent eye exam that makes sense...where my eyes are degrading at a sensible rate and therefore, my prescription makes sense. 

This last time, I got a half-diopter modification to them and it worked like shit. one eye would blur in the not-quite-progressive-increased-magnification spot and the other was fine. 

It always seems like my eyes don't "exam" well, and I often doubt the prescription by the time I get the glasses back and start using them.

Getting old sucks.