STENDEC

Cannabis & Migraine

Inhaled cannabis reduces self-reported headache severity by 47.3% and migraine severity by 49.6%, according to a recent study. The study also found no evidence that cannabis caused 'overuse headache,' a pitfall of more conventional treatments. The researchers did see patients using larger doses of cannabis over time, indicating they may be developing tolerance to the drug.

Full Article

Interesting. I never used cannabis for headaches; as I used it to get high, but I wish I would have thought about it when I was in the throes of a cluster headache or atypical migraine run!

I'll have to look this up as it escapes me at the moment, but I remember hearing about something currently being studied as either the agent or a biomarker of migraines - specifically migraines, not headaches - with drugs being developed to target this in trials. I thought I'd mention it for the sake of discussion, in the event somebody knows what I'm talking about. I wonder if substances in cannabis target this thing or this system, too. 

I'm pretty sure psilocybin is the thing you want for cluster headaches. I think people have success taking a single dose for 1-3 month relief. But like with other conditions, there may be more than one type of cluster headache, with different pathophysiologies requiring different solutions. 

I haven't heard of the migraine research, but with chronic CH, psilocybin is the off-the-books magic, yes. 

I'm pretty sure that my bouts with it were atypical migraine, but the pain mirrored CH very well. I haven't had one in about 12 years. I am pretty sure I had a new baby at the time of my last cluster of headaches. They were horrible and could wake me from sleep. Every single night. 

A 50% reduction in migraine severity is a pretty dramatic finding...I don't know that most people get this kind of result from any available medication.

2 hours ago, Growth Factor said:

I'll have to look this up as it escapes me at the moment, but I remember hearing about something currently being studied as either the agent or a biomarker of migraines - specifically migraines, not headaches - with drugs being developed to target this in trials. I thought I'd mention it for the sake of discussion, in the event somebody knows what I'm talking about. I wonder if substances in cannabis target this thing or this system, too. 

I'm pretty sure psilocybin is the thing you want for cluster headaches. I think people have success taking a single dose for 1-3 month relief. But like with other conditions, there may be more than one type of cluster headache, with different pathophysiologies requiring different solutions. 

Are you thinking CGRP?

Also, I had Cluster Headaches. Textbook episodic, for over 20 years. Psilocybin. Cured me from an incurable disease.

My migraines though, they still plague me and have become a bit untractable.

Who knows, medical marijuana is legal in my state. Might have to consider it.

1 hour ago, STENDEC said:

A 50% reduction in migraine severity is a pretty dramatic finding...I don't know that most people get this kind of result from any available medication.

Well, current abative medications are pretty good and while not side effect free, the sides are mostly less bad than a migraine. 

Weed or thc or some form of cannabinoid would be preferable to either, obviously. 

Psylocibin research is still in it's infancy. The Cluster Headache research started from a few brave souls that tried it on our own through trial and error. Many came before, many more after.

I am so glad that my cluster or atypical migraine condition finally resolved and didn't reoccur. I would have gladly gone the mushroom route if it had come back. 

O2 and triptans worked mostly. But if I could have smoked a blunt instead I might have... 

5 hours ago, Growth Factor said:

Yes! Any input about this?

My doctor is very positive on it and he is a progressive one. When Memantine was promising, he helped me with it, right dose, tapering, etc. We've tried everything and when it came to talking about psilocybin, he wanted the data and supported me @STENDEC .

So I think the science is there for CGRP.