Sign in to follow this  
Something Anonymous

For Whom the Bells Toll

I think I saw that title somewhere once and it was probably kettlebell related, but I thought it was appropriate here even though I doubt I am witty enough to come up with it on my own. 

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

The premise is simple. You do 500 reps per workout for a total of 20 workouts to get 10,000 swings.

Last Wednesday I did a workout with a 50lb bell and this was coming off a 2 month period of not working out at all. Safe to say it properly kicked my ass and I’m not going to count that day as the first workout since I didn’t actually get 500 reps (only got 300) and I started out with too much weight and had to back down mid workout to 40’s. 

Anyways, having said that I’m going to start again tomorrow morning as workout numero uno with a 40lb bell and do it properly. I may or may not log every workout. But I encourage others here to join and log their workouts and observations in this thread. 

Just so this can feel apt, I'll say "subbed" and I can pretend this is a fitness forum again. lol

I intend on doing this exactly...getting a few hundred reps in, totally overdoing it, not being able to sit on the shitter for 3 days without groaning aloud, and then trying to get closer to 500 by the end of the month. lol

I didn't get a KB today...but I think I know where I can get one so I'm still thinking I can be part of this.

I have, however, shaved a full 90s/mile off my jogging pace since this began which I am pretty pleased with....I actually am no longer in acute danger of being lapped by the Karens walking the same route.

I did my first real workout this morning with a 40lb bell. Did the rep scheme as outlined in the article I posted.

One thing I wonder is what you guys consider a proper swing? I think I was swinging harder than what some of the videos I watched showed other people doing. My idea of a swing is a squat and swing but most of the videos I watched showed people barely bending their knees when they did a swing. When I did that today the workout was remarkably easier so I am wondering if the way I swing is more difficult?

I only have a 12kg one (it's roughly 36 pounds). 

When I have done KB finishing work in the past, I have used weight in the 60-80lb range. So I'm at 50% or less of that.

I did a full 500 this morning with a 50lb bell. It’s brutalizing me. It took me an hour to get it done so my rest periods were significantly longer than the article recommends.

I’m not sure I can get up and do this again tomorrow morning. I may need to do 2 days off a week. My whole body feels worn out and sore. 

Brandon, I'm  thinking that for most of us the right weight this rotation might be 35 lbs. Yes we can bench press 350 and lift 500 lbs.  But this might take some getting used to. 

In the meantime, I'm still working  on some kettlebells. Otherwise,  I have lunchboxes, sand, and duck tape.  Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, Something Anonymous said:

I just googled posterior chain...that’s exactly where I am feeling it as well. 

lol, yeah.

Erector Spinae, Glutes, Hams, Calves, mostly.

28 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

Yeah, my hams hurt. 

I'm doing sets of 20 again, this time with goblet squats immediately after. I'm shooting for 6 rounds today.

Bloodsugar was really good in spite of having eaten dessert last night quite heartily. lol

This was pretty awful. Not gonna lie. 6 rounds of swingsx20 and 5 rounds of goblet squatsx10, because eat my ass. I'll have to get in about 2 miles today as well. 

5 minutes ago, Something Anonymous said:

I can tell that if I can manage to keep my calories in check throughout this process I should recomp nicely. 

There's literally no way to not benefit from this*. It's the best whole-body resistance exercise that I can think of if you don't have a bar and some weights. Squats>Deadlifts>Swings. Swings have much more cardio affinity, too, can be performed in tabata format at the right weights, etc. I'm curious to see what my bloodsugar looks like tomorrow with actual lifting-ish exercise being done.

My partner was a perverted sort and after we'd have a squat session, we'd do rounds with heavy bells. I think we did 12s, so not TONS of reps, but once you do 10 or 11 sets of 12, you're fried after squatting. 

I secretly enjoyed it, but wanted to hurt him in the moment.

*- Note: Consistency is key. If we stop, we'll get nothing. Must keep doing.