So the bells thread seems dead and it seems pointless to put my personal workouts in there-especially since fuck those crazy 500 per day workouts. Y'all are crazy.

I am feeling really good. I've been pushed into a low carb/keto 16:8 by my doctor. A single day in and my PP glucose is down over 20 (into the low 80s) and my waking fasting glucose is also in the low 80s, which is a change of almost 40. 

I think I'm going to keep hitting the kettlebell 3-4 days per week and hit the dumbbells 2 of those days with a kettlebell Tabata to close it out. I got 3.5 rounds of my 20-10 tabata today. lol

Workout is pretty generic, but requires nothing but dumbbells (or a KB, or a 45 plate):

Floor Press (3x15 to start)

DB Row (3x15)

Weighted situp (doing crunches for now) (3x10)

Renegade Row (never done before-doing this weightless for now) (3xwhatever I can do)

Goblet Squat (45) (3x15)

Overhead Press (3x15)

RDL (3x15)

KB Tabata 20:10 (goal is 8 rounds, got 3.5 today)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the bells thread seems dead and it seems pointless to put my personal workouts in there-especially since fuck those crazy 500 per day workouts. Y'all are crazy.   I am feeling really good

Hard mental week for me. More stupid mind games fucking me up. I've let most mindfulness slip and that means shit is getting to me again.   Because of the stress, I haven't worked out much,

301.6 yesterday after a walk.   I've gotten in several 18h fasts after having a hard time managing even 12 for a few weeks.    I "ran" a mile in 14:26 today. I haven't run a mile t

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I am feeling really good. I've been pushed into a low carb/keto 16:8 by my doctor. A single day in and my PP glucose is down over 20 (into the low 80s) and my waking fasting glucose is also in the low 80s, which is a change of almost 40. 

That's a remarkable shift.

Remind me if you are also on any glucose-control meds?

42 minutes ago, STENDEC said:

That's a remarkable shift.

Remind me if you are also on any glucose-control meds?

I'm on the liraglutide, which in theory is a glucose-control med, but I've not noticed any glucose changes. 

I think my pancreas has just about fucking had it with me and one day with 35g CHO is enough to have it relax a bit. lol

5 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Nice work!

I suspect that if you actually ate 350ish g of PRO your glucose numbers would not be as good because of hepatic gluconeogenesis.

Those goals are for some other things I had toyed with over the last year. 

Also, because you're a smart individual, you could probably predict what my bloodsugar looked like yesterday, compared with the day before...

It's lower, but nearly as good as the day before.

Today: Kettlebell only

On set 3, I began a progression from 20 to 25 reps. 

25x8S

330 total reps in 21:13, 11800 lbs. Avg HR 119, Max 150. I started with :55 rest time, but kept it in the 50-55 second rests for most, until set 13 and 14. I think it was 60 and 79 seconds for those 2 rests. 

BP is upper 120s over upper 70s. Bloodsugar is looking better, but I need to keep my protein intake in check to keep it in the 80s where I'd like it. 

I'm doing better about not letting my HR in the 120s bother me while exercising. It's been an issue inside my head. I'm letting go of it and pursuing somewhat higher HR while exercising. 

4 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I'm doing better about not letting my HR in the 120s bother me while exercising. It's been an issue inside my head. I'm letting go of it and pursuing somewhat higher HR while exercising. 

That doesn't seem at all unreasonable during moderately vigorous exercise.

Just now, STENDEC said:

That doesn't seem at all unreasonable during moderately vigorous exercise.

No, it doesn't. In fact, 120s to 130s is probably where I should be while working out, with peaks into the 150s, but for so long, I've had a hard time dealing with my HR from a mental space. Some of that is a lack of doing exercise that takes me into that space for more than a few seconds at a time-like a set of squats where you notice it, but only after you do a set. 

So I'm adjusting. Rethinking and rewiring things as I go.

Real talk for a minute:

Powerlifting* kills. Period. 

It took me a long time to distance myself from the sport to do the mental math on it. Powerlifting and powerlifting training encourages behaviors that lead to death**. I've watched lots and LOTS of "young" men in their 30s, 40s, and 50s pass away in the sport. Quite a few died around, under, or near their barbells. 

Exaggerated eating, strain, inflammation, wear and tear, lack of cardio, drugs for some. I really didn't connect with it, but powerlifting brought with it a lower QoL for me. I suspect many others would agree given the stories from Dave and Brandon Lilly and Wendler and countless others. 

I don't want to be a crossfitter, I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I honestly want to have a good and healthy life. Brandon Lilly's current state is an extreme example of what I want for myself. I want longevity. I want to enjoy my life without being a broken old man. 

I'm guessing what you see here or some permutation of it is what's in my near future. No 800 pound squats for me.

*- Extrapolate "powerlifting" to "strength sports"

**- Yeah, there's a study or two for that: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24033718/ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10834358/ 

14 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

OTOH, there is no paucity of data that shows a strong positive correlation between muscle mass, strength and specifically resistance exercise and reduction in all-cause mortality.

Perhaps elite powerlifting tends to lend itself to extremism....and extremism in sport, regardless of the type of sport, tends to be dangerous...

On 6/18/2020 at 6:28 AM, STENDEC said:

OTOH, there is no paucity of data that shows a strong positive correlation between muscle mass, strength and specifically resistance exercise and reduction in all-cause mortality.

Perhaps elite powerlifting tends to lend itself to extremism....and extremism in sport, regardless of the type of sport, tends to be dangerous...

As an outsider, I've always viewed powerlifting culture as a sort of fringe extremist culture of general fitness.

I've known a lot of people who lift weights, but only a small number of them pursued powerlifting culture. Anecdotally, every one of my acquaintances who went down the extreme powerlifting path ended up having difficult times later with drug dependence problems (anabolic or otherwise), mental health issues secondary to drug use, injuries that they ignored for the sake of progress or toughness, and other decisions that they later regretted.

This may be a stretch, but I've seen similar self-destructive behavior patterns in some very competitive acquaintances in the software world. People who want to get to the top of their field at any cost, so they lean on stimulants, neglect their sleep and personal health, and ultimately burn out from lack of balance. I think a certain personality type can take any field to unhealthy extremes.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, Emperor G_D said:

Real talk for a minute:

Powerlifting* kills. Period. 

It took me a long time to distance myself from the sport to do the mental math on it. Powerlifting and powerlifting training encourages behaviors that lead to death**. I've watched lots and LOTS of "young" men in their 30s, 40s, and 50s pass away in the sport. Quite a few died around, under, or near their barbells. 

Exaggerated eating, strain, inflammation, wear and tear, lack of cardio, drugs for some. I really didn't connect with it, but powerlifting brought with it a lower QoL for me. I suspect many others would agree given the stories from Dave and Brandon Lilly and Wendler and countless others. 

I don't want to be a crossfitter, I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I honestly want to have a good and healthy life. Brandon Lilly's current state is an extreme example of what I want for myself. I want longevity. I want to enjoy my life without being a broken old man. 

I'm guessing what you see here or some permutation of it is what's in my near future. No 800 pound squats for me.

**- Yeah, there's a study or two for that: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24033718/ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10834358/ 

Powerlifting as a mentality can be an additiction so I can see how there would be a connection there.  If you aren't in it for health or the "mirror" benefits then the only way to get the fix is to lift heavier.  I'm going through this with my son who keeps asking me about what was my max lift and all that.  I told him max lifts is like dick measuring.  It's cool but ultimately doesn't count for much unless you are a powerlifter.  

Also, are you trying to get into full keto or just low carb?  One thing I found out by accident when I was fasting is I was getting into full dark purple keto by fast for 48 hours just using salts and electrolytes.  After that I did a 24 once a week and 20:4.  Dude, I never saw fat melt like that in my life. I was seeing lower abs and it was like 3 years ago. 

25 minutes ago, AlwaysForward said:

Powerlifting as a mentality can be an additiction so I can see how there would be a connection there.  If you aren't in it for health or the "mirror" benefits then the only way to get the fix is to lift heavier.  I'm going through this with my son who keeps asking me about what was my max lift and all that.  I told him max lifts is like dick measuring.  It's cool but ultimately doesn't count for much unless you are a powerlifter.  

I was not a dick-measurer at all, though. I came in, I lifted mostly smarter and heavier every single time, and had lots to show for it. Once can come in and kill it for themselves, and not compare dicks, yaknow?

Just a nit to pick with your post. :D

1 minute ago, Emperor G_D said:

I was not a dick-measurer at all, though. I came in, I lifted mostly smarter and heavier every single time, and had lots to show for it. Once can come in and kill it for themselves, and not compare dicks, yaknow?

Just a nit to pick with your post. :D

Oh I know, I was talking in general terms.  Not specifically at you directly.  Sort of like what @Construct said. 

8 minutes ago, AlwaysForward said:

Also, are you trying to get into full keto or just low carb?  One thing I found out by accident when I was fasting is I was getting into full dark purple keto by fast for 48 hours just using salts and electrolytes.  After that I did a 24 once a week and 20:4.  Dude, I never saw fat melt like that in my life. I was seeing lower abs and it was like 3 years ago. 

I'm basically keto, but not trying for any specific goals aside from <50g CHO/day and doing a 16:8 (or more) per day. Yesterday I got to 18 hours, but found myself hungry at 2330 and needed another snack before I could get to sleep...as a result, I'm still fasting today. lol

My kcals are pretty low though...haven't been above 2K more than once this week. Hopefully that will make some changes in fat/scale weight. 

Keeping my kcals and CHO low have led to great biometrics...RHR is super low, BP is low as well. Feeling good.

6 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

RHR is super low,

I have found that significantly increasing my water intake, well above what thirst would have me drink, tends to push my RHR down by quite a bit

1 minute ago, Emperor G_D said:

I'm basically keto, but not trying for any specific goals aside from <50g CHO/day and doing a 16:8 (or more) per day. Yesterday I got to 18 hours, but found myself hungry at 2330 and needed another snack before I could get to sleep...as a result, I'm still fasting today. lol

My kcals are pretty low though...haven't been above 2K more than once this week. Hopefully that will make some changes in fat/scale weight. 

Keeping my kcals and CHO low have led to great biometrics...RHR is super low, BP is low as well. Feeling good.

Fasting is a strange thing. I have defintely experienced anabolic type feels whenever I've really stuck to it.  Its strange because for me that 12-18 hour mark was a killer than it was smooth sailing.  I might try it for a month and see how it goes.  Keto and IF at the same time can be challenging but when I lowered my fat intake as opposed to "high fat", I was dropping a pound a day easy.  People at work were worried about me and I felt great.  

Oddly enough, when I was a total mess that summer, the fasting is what got all my meds under control... I can't really explain it.  Again though, this is when I was doing a 24 a week and then 20:4 but I found I wasn't really hungry.  I tried IF a few weeks back without the starting 48 hour (meaning I wasn't in ketosis) and even with the 24 hour, it wasn't moving the needle.  The other thing about the 48 hour is there is no carb flu.  You are instantly adapted although for some it can take 72 hours.  I could stand to drop some BF.  Good things are moving in the right direction for you man!

2 minutes ago, AlwaysForward said:

Fasting is a strange thing. I have defintely experienced anabolic type feels whenever I've really stuck to it.  Its strange because for me that 12-18 hour mark was a killer than it was smooth sailing.  I might try it for a month and see how it goes.  Keto and IF at the same time can be challenging but when I lowered my fat intake as opposed to "high fat", I was dropping a pound a day easy.  People at work were worried about me and I felt great.  

Oddly enough, when I was a total mess that summer, the fasting is what got all my meds under control... I can't really explain it.  Again though, this is when I was doing a 24 a week and then 20:4 but I found I wasn't really hungry.  I tried IF a few weeks back without the starting 48 hour (meaning I wasn't in ketosis) and even with the 24 hour, it wasn't moving the needle.  The other thing about the 48 hour is there is no carb flu.  You are instantly adapted although for some it can take 72 hours.  I could stand to drop some BF.  Good things are moving in the right direction for you man!

Thanks, man. I'm doing well. I started in on your mindfulness sessions, but will admit that I haven't been going at it weekly like I was trying to. I'll get back to it this weekend.

Mindset has been a difficult thing, but I think things are coming around inside my skull. lol

Here's another biometric (though subjective) measure: I'm not feeling on the edge of heat exhaustion since dropping 20 pounds and now actually managing my diet. I just walk around with a towel to mop off with and wear tanks, but it's hot and I'm not even sweating...

There's something about my body and ANS or Sympathetic nervous system issues. It's no doubt caused by obesity and all sorts of downstream issues from that. I haven't unwound it all in fact or in my head yet. Still thinking on it.

Been hot and I was getting ramped up on fasting and keto at the same time, so I have laid low on the workouts. I'm getting about 18 hours on fasting, so I end up basically OMAD plus a keto-friendly dessert or snack. On the front side of the week, I had shorter fasts, and I pretty much ate 2000+ kcals, but the last 3 days I've been in the 1400-1900 range. As my fasts grew longer, my kcal intake dropped nicely. Last night I ate some pickup food, but still managed to stay just over 50g CHO.

16Sx25R Rest time 55 sec or less until sets 15 and 16. 400 total reps, 14400lbs. Avg HR 113, peak 153*.

:sigh:

I feel real good. Got some chores to do, so gonna get off my arse and gitterdun before wifey comes home and we start up some other chores.

*- I've been having a bitch of a time working with Garmin on some HR issues I'm consistently having so who knows how accurate.