• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the bells thread seems dead and it seems pointless to put my personal workouts in there-especially since fuck those crazy 500 per day workouts. Y'all are crazy.   I am feeling really good

301.6 yesterday after a walk.   I've gotten in several 18h fasts after having a hard time managing even 12 for a few weeks.    I "ran" a mile in 14:26 today. I haven't run a mile t

Hard mental week for me. More stupid mind games fucking me up. I've let most mindfulness slip and that means shit is getting to me again.   Because of the stress, I haven't worked out much,

Posted Images

w00t

Had a good swing session right now. My cardio picked up real quick from where I left off, I think. Session over session I've been able to adjust my rest down. Today I concentrated on getting my rest periods as close to 50 seconds as possible. By the end, my HR was barely hitting 140 at the conclusion of a set, so I spiced it up a bit. I started with sets of 25 on set 17. When that didn't push things too hard, I started reducing my rest times even more:

17: 50

18: 50

19: 45

20: 30

21: 15

22: 0 (done)

22 sets in 30:05, 465 total reps (16K pounds), avg HR 118, Max 160. 

Got some walking in yesterday. Went to Home Depot for a grinding stone...need to polish up the handles of these kettlebells. They were destroying my hands. Rough castings, even rougher hammerite coatings, seam marks, etc.

Today was a swinging day.

The overall workout was pretty simple...started with 20s, until I realized it was again a very easy workout. Switched to 25s at set 11. Went through to set 20 at that rep count. Then I was warm, and toasty, but not fried yet, so I started doing sets of 10 with 20S rest, and added a rep per set.

1-10: 20R

11-20: 25R

21: 10

22: 11

23: 12

24: 13

25: 14

26: 15

27: 15

Could have kept going, but decided to hold back so as not to let the workout stress get to my already-high stress levels from the last 2 weeks (car accident and repair, adolescent with a broken toe, work stuff, wife with work stuff, cat with a slow recovery from a spay, etc.).

27 total sets in 31:34, avg HR 123, peak 149. 540 total reps, 19K lbs

1 hour ago, Something Anonymous said:

Sorry to hear about that stuff going on Sam. That sounds like a lot to hit in a short period of time. Good to see you still at it!

Yeah, the last 2 weeks have been trying, to say the least. But the car got repaired only a week after being wrecked, the toe was set and taped and maintained (and after costing me a grand for the Er visit, I got to watch him writhe on pain while injected with lidocaine and manually reduced by hand), and the cat is slowly returning to her self again. 

Now it's just normal "2020 sucks" shit. 

New low BW of 294.3 today (post breakfast). 

Interesting to note that dietary compliance is at an all-time low in the evenings, but since adding kettlebell work back into the mix, I drop a couple pounds per week. Could exercise be the missing piece? While it was hot and the air was awful, I didn't force the issue so much, because I thought that since we've always seen so much evidence that exercise isn't the key to weight loss, so it's no big loss to my continued progress. 

It doesn't appear to be true, though-at least in my n=1 case. Adding in ~30 minutes of intense weighted cardio (kettlebell swings and other strength work), seems to have fired up the fatloss machine again.

It's very confusing to me at times, trying to know whether to walk or run, or sprint, or lift, or swing. 

Whew. Another day of the swings.

Similar to before, I'm manipulating my rest time and reps to increase intensity.

S1-9: under 50 sec rest, 20 reps

S10-20: 50+ secs of rest, 25 reps (only 3 sets went above 60 seconds)

S21-24: 10R, 20 secs of rest

S25-26: 10R, 15 secs of rest

Total time: 32:30

Work time: 13:19

Rest time: 19:07

515 total reps

18K lbs

Avg. HR 127

Peak 153

Yesterday, got 2.5 miles of walking in. That's about what I'm wanting for my non-lifting days.

Kettlebell work was a pretty simple complex. I did one set of an exercise per kettlebell, moved onto the next exercise, and then took a rest after I had done all 3 exercises.

Clean and press

35x10

35x10

45x5

50x5

Curls

35x10

35x10

45x8

50x5

Halo

35x10

35x10

45x8

50x5

Took about 20 minutes, all told.

Then I did swings with ~40-55 sec rest:

35x25Rx10S

Then increased the density with sets of 10@20Sec rest:

35x10Rx5S

15 sets, 17:38, 11K lbs, 133avg HR 148 max

Allright, figured I'd get a workout in today. I figure tomorrow will be a walking and thinking sort of day.

Yesterday: Walked for 60 straight minutes. 3.53 mi

Today:

KB Swingin'

35x25Rx20S

33:33 total time

13:24 work time

124BPM avg

145BPM max

17500lbs

So I've been fiending for a nice large set of adjustable dumbbells for months, now. They've been out of stock in the 2 major players models since spring (power blok and IronMaster). IronMaster had to go to a lottery system where when they receive a shipment, they randomly draw a winner and allow them to order.

I entered because I never win shit. Today they sent me my link to purchase a set. lol

Since a 5-50lb hex set is in the 1-2K range, I bought it. I've been dying for dumbbells heavier than 25 pounds since COVID started. They are 5-75lbs, and have expansion kits up to 120 I think. I can bro out again.

• 1 month later...

Man, I finally got under a barbell to squat again. I'm sure I'll feel this tomorrow. And the rest of the week.

1 mile walk/run: 16:45

Squats

Barx10

Barx10

135x5

135x5

175x5

175x5

135x5

45x10

Bulgarians

x7 L/R

x5 L/R

OUT

Since I still have no small weights, I decided to use what I could find in my environment:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJEilXIAmbc/

I've been using the rotors from my wife's Pilot as the base weights on my pulley setup for a few months. They're just under 20 pounds apiece, so perfect, or as good as it gets until I get some smaller weight, anyways.

Good news...finally found some changeweight that wasn't $4/lb. $2/lb straight up. Perfect price. I still can't figure out what was wrong with the weights, since they are visually perfect YORK plates and have a brand new coat of paint. Perhaps they're just knock-offs of old Yorkies, or something. 

They weighed a perfect 65.2 pounds when I weighed them, so they're perfectly weighted. 4x10, 4x5, 2x2.5. $130.

Dude who sold them to me was *not* in any way a lifter. Just a bookish asian kid. Shrug.

I benched today. God, it feels so goddamned normal to do normal things.

Bench (worked up to 175, and then back down to 135 for sets of 5)

Triceps pushdowns on my pulley rig

Some light back work

Triceps pushdowns with a band

I'll probably even deadlift on Friday or something, just to keep it super normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible how hard it can be to get back into practice of lifting, tracking and logging again.

Today I finished up last week's lifting with some bench work.

Warmups

Regular grip bench (barx20)

Narrow Work

75x10

100x10

135x10

145x6

150x5

Wide Press

75x15x3S

Incline DB Press

25x10

30x10x2S

Delts

Front/Side/Rear delts 10x3S each

One Mile Warmup

Squats

45x10

75x10

135x5

165x5

195x5

225x5

230x5

135x10

Needed to cut it short, so that's all I did today.

I have my first "Objective Assessment" (AKA: "final") tomorrow. It will be nice to get my first college class behind me in 3 days of college. lol Excel isn't hard, and I've been using it for decades at this point, so no big deal.

Well, it was quite a week. Didn't work out much. Too much doom-scrolling, occupying my time thinking of things other than my wife's covid contact, and school. I passed my first class this week, so that's good news. On class 2, I've already passed the classes' pre-test, which is a strong indicator that I could take the "final" for it and pass, but I want to actually get something out of it, so I'm studying through the materials once before I test on it.

Yesterday, I had fun at the podiatrist's office...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kg3YsSjukTU5p95t9

So probably no walking or lifting for a week or three. 

I'm fasting 18-20 hours per day right now. Hope to continue that for a few days/weeks and make some more progress. Weight was 286.9 this AM, so I've recovered from my run up to 290-ish over the holidays, but I need to lose some more weight.

Fat doc put me on Ozempic, so maybe that will make me feel sufficiently shitty and it won't be too hard to fast. lol Failing that, there's always the terbenafine that the podiatrist wants me on to fix my toenails...

21 hours ago, KCASANJO594 said:

Failing that, there's always the terbenafine that the podiatrist wants me on to fix my toenails...

20 years ago, I had a nail fungus only on my left foot, mainly on my big toe but some involvement in other nails....I resisted systemic terbinafine for long time, tried every topical under the sun, including some pharmaceutical varnishes I got from England.

Nothing did a damn bit of good. One round of oral terbinafine cleared things up completely and permanently.

18 minutes ago, STENDEC said:

20 years ago, I had a nail fungus only on my left foot, mainly on my big toe but some involvement in other nails....I resisted systemic terbinafine for long time, tried every topical under the sun, including some pharmaceutical varnishes I got from England.

Nothing did a damn bit of good. One round of oral terbinafine cleared things up completely and permanently.

This is exactly where I'm at. I've had that toenail removed fully twice, and now the sides butchered. There's another toe on the same foot and my big toe on the other foot with some very minor infection. 

The doctor says they do a multi-month pulsing technique of 1 week on, 3 weeks off. Hopefully that will help keep my liver healthy. I might pick up some TUDCA since I see pubmed references to ursodoxycholic acid and terbinafine. 

https://sci-hub.se/https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1345/aph.1D420