JudoJosh

Aminophylline

Topical fat reduction from the waist.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Topical fat reduction from the thigh in women using aminophylline cream has been demonstrated, but the local fat reduction in other body areas or in men by lowering the local lipolytic threshold has not been demonstrated. This study is designed to test the hypothesis that aminophylline cream application to the waist will reduce waist circumference compared with a control.

RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: Fifty men and women who are 21-65 years of age with a BMI greater than 27 kg/m(2) and a waist to hip ratio > or =average were randomized in a 1 : 1 ratio to 0.5% aminophylline cream to the waist twice a day or no treatment to the waist. All subjects were instructed to follow a 1200 kcal balanced diet, participate in a walking program and return biweekly to encourage compliance. A theophylline level was drawn monthly, and the waist, BMI and waist to hip ratio were remeasured at 12 weeks.

RESULTS: At week 12, there was a significant reduction in BMI from baseline that was not different between the groups. The reduction in waist circumference was 11 +/- 1.0 cm in the aminophylline cream group and 5.0 +/- 0.6 cm in the control group (p

DISCUSSION: Aminophylline cream offers a safe and effective method for cosmetic local fat reduction from the waist.

PMID 17391155

Bumping this old thread/post because I'm still interested in topical fat loss solutions (despite the endless discussions and arguments about it over the past few decades), and I saw this same study referenced in a separate thread here.

Here's a link to the free FT (if it works) of another relevant older paper from one of the same authors:  https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1995.tb00228.x

I'm not necessarily arguing for or against potential merits of topical aminophylline, but in the past I've always been more or less a 'believer' (at least conceptually) in topical fat loss agents in the context of hypocaloric diets, assuming any positive effects would immediately reverse upon return to a maintenance or hypercaloric state.

Have there been any advances in this area over the past few years?  Any new products/ingredients that actually have solid supporting evidence for their efficacy?  I doubt it, but wanted to spark discussion anyway if anyone else is interested in this area.

8 hours ago, nightop said:

Have there been any advances in this area over the past few years?  Any new products/ingredients that actually have solid supporting evidence for their efficacy?  I doubt it, but wanted to spark discussion anyway if anyone else is interested in this area.

None that I am aware of....and given the size of the market for an effective topical fat loss agent, I would expect that if there was something out there that actually worked, someone would be producing it by the tanker load.